Tuesday, October 21, 2008

DAL @ NYR: That's One Way to Get Noticed

As you'll soon see, this night proved to be one of the most interesting of my hockey-related life. I guess I should start at the beginning.

Pre-game:
Coming into the game, I had another funny encounter on the elevator. No Kevin Stevens this time but, instead, I saw Brett Hull across the way. Of course, being a nobody, I plan to leave Brett and his 741 goals alone, but I continue eavesdropping on his conversation.



[Brett Hull scored more goals in his career than I can could ever dream of, well, except that goal]

[Via Bob's Hockey Page]

I hear him mention to someone else nearby, that "You need the tie to dress things up a little" and I look up to see a pink and purple striped tie hanging around his neck. I say, "Kind of like this?" and lift my own pink and grey tie--ugly to no end, mind you--but Brett looks up, we make eye contact and he gives me the wink and the gun. That's a future Hall-of-Fame wink-and-the-gun we're talking about. Sweet.

Eventually I ask him how his first summer at his new job went and he responds with a chuckle, "It's easy. Les [Jackson] does all the work. I come in an hour before my tee time [do my thing and head out.]"


[Via Ponds and Pucks]

The guy's got a sense of humor and is obviously kidding--mostly--but he starts talking about how many little things going into the general manager's job that you'd never even think of. He said the big things--trades, signings--are easy. The little stuff, not so much.

Somewhere in between that event and the one I'm about to describe, there was a game of some type. Who knew? I'll get to that and some brief thoughts on the two weekend games when I get the opportunity, but first I have to describe one of the dumbest and most unforgettable things I'll probably ever do.

I work for a hockey writer in New York. Namely the one in this video interviewing Sean Avery. I guess that blows my cover. Oh well. Anyway, my boss and every other media member at the game wants one interview and one interview only: Sean Avery. Surprisingly enough, my boss gets that interview even after The Grate One announced to one and all that he wouldn't talk with anyone.

At this point, the locker rooms already emptied out, post-game questions for coaches long since answered and recorded, I try to call my boss who I need to meet up with before we both call it a night and leave. Well, watch and be amazed. All of it is interesting, but the part of import to me comes around 1:55:




Words cannot describe what just happened here. I, lowly intern, am forever linked to the night Sean Avery returned to Madison Square Garden because my phone call cut into the only interview Sean did for the New York writers. Like I said, that's one way to get noticed.

No comments: